Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Kelsey McGoldrick- April Greiman

 



April Greiman is one of the first digital designers in the United States. The digital influence hit Europe much earlier than it came to the US. Greiman pushed for more use of digital technology in design throughout the seventies and early eighties. She does very intricate, unique collages within her work. Many of her works play with photography, textures, and digital manipulation. Her work also gives an almost feminine vibe and after getting to know Greiman it is clear that is most likely intentional. 


She plays with space, scale and composition with many of her pieces. She strives to make her work very intentional and have nice context to the space it will be displayed in. When she did her work “hand holding a bowl of rice” she studied the town in South Korea it was going to be displayed in for a month before executing the work. 


After examining her work it seems a lot of the photography is of people, whether that is portraits or pictures of their body or parts of their body. She is pretty known for working on portraits as well. I think the secret to her work is this constant layering and playing around with color. I feel in her case less is not more, to not be afraid of going over the top. 


I picked April Greiman because I think her work gives me endless opportunities to create unique work of my own with her inspiration. The image above with the leg coming out of the square allows me to have a lot of ideas about how I could do something similar with my own twist. Perhaps multiple body parts coming out of a space into a new space, as well as adding collage-like elements throughout the piece.



No comments:

Post a Comment