Monday, January 29, 2024

Old is New Again - Emily Furr

 

    I love the landscape shots from the historical photos so I tried to capture the same feeling. I took a photo of the pond area behind the Rowe building and went from there. I wanted it to look old and dirty as if it had been seen and passed around in its hay day but was eventually laid down and forgotten.
    I knew I wanted cracks and pieces missing so those pieces were taken from the files Jeff gave us on canvas. I used the "Fort Fisher NC" historical photo for the large square-ish chunk, I took a crack from the "17th NY Battery" historical photo, and I took the bottom left corner from the "Cold Harbor VA" historical photo. I added the number "1451" from the Library of Congress photo "Lewis C. Hunt, Col. 67th Ohio" to the top right side of my photo to incorporate the year that the photo was taken. You can see the year more clearly in the GIF than you can in the JPEG.


1 comment:

  1. The composition takes an environmental approach. The location of the picture is the UNC Charlotte pond near the rowe building. The picture has tones of the winter or fall time as the trees still haven't gotten their leaves back. The picture is in landscape to really capture the environment. There’s a lot of texture that's layers to the piece both literally and figuratively. Before edits the tone of the picture holds a calm and solemn feel. When the viewer sees this photo I would imagine they would like to go to this location and just take a deep breath
    After the edits the pictures give the feeling of nostalgia. I can almost imagine the person taking the photo in the future looking back at it and reminiscing about how their home looked back then. The cracks and the missing section adds to the feeling even more, as if the memory is being lost with the photo as the time goes on.
    The overall work and execution of the project was really good. The effect was successful and translated to the viewer well. There’s a lot of texture layered on the image that adds depth. The date is not seen really so finding a way to make that prominent would help add to the effect more. The image is in black and white and that helps show certain parts of the image like the trees and water really well. The crack gives the image its final touch and brings everything
    Overall the image is amazing. The small details brought everything together. The one critique I have is adding a little more effect to really sell the image. Like adding the dripping effect to make the image look wet. Also making the date stand out more. Other than that everything was an experience and was enjoyable to look at.

    ReplyDelete