Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Serene Stare - Transformative Portrait - Julien Pozo

 

So overall, I think I'm quite happy with the outcome. Although, I was struggling slightly with the 3D fog so I didn't end up going down that path.

For the most part, the overall theme is just tranquility. Her character, Dani, when I talked to her. she was pretty relaxed and chill, so I thought a good way to represent that was a mountain scape that kind of masked her body from the portrait I took alongside the pose I had her in, which felt very peaceful and direct, together with some birds and added fog alongside audio, I thought it would convey that message well.

Side note, I could not for the life of me figure out why the gif I made of the bird's flapping wings came out with some white in the back, no matter what I did. I also couldn't really find anything online to help so just ignore that part. Overall I enjoyed the process!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Serene Stare by Julien Pozo a young woman calmly stands behind a passing flock of birds and fog. She is blended with a dense forest that fades into black on the right. The forest is rotated so it sits vertically and merges with the left side of her body.

    When I first saw this image, I understood that the photographer was implying their subject felt or radiated tranquility. The green color he pulled out is suggestive of the mood because green is known to have calming effects. The use of white and black in the background gives me the idea of balance which I see as a key to achieving peace. Her expression and pose also convey contentment, making the theme more evident than if she had a very exaggerated expression or none at all.

    Every component of this composition contributes to the theme and mood. I like that Julien decided to unify Dani with the mountain scape rather than have it surround her as a background element. This decision transforms the portrait and persuades viewers to look for what is being communicated about the subject.

    I think the artist chose to animate the birds and fog/clouds because people are likely to associate them with tranquility. I’ve often seen birds depicted as symbols of peace. The speed of animation sort of takes away from the serene atmosphere, so I think slowing it down would make more sense for the photographer’s objective.

    In context of our culture, this piece could signify different things to people based on their experiences with film. Some people thought it suggested Dani is a mysterious person. I can see this perspective from my knowledge of mystery, horror, and drama shows. Julien probably chose to show this image and his perspective of peace because that’s what was the most strong and evident to him. His personal association of forests and nature in general is relaxation and peacefulness.

    This composition connects the subject, Dani, with the idea of tranquility with the use of nature, color, and motion. Each element is balanced and composed to transform the original portrait. The photography successfully communicated their point of view and vision.

    ReplyDelete