Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Meg Neal - Fake it

 My piece is centered around the religious panic that occurred during the most recent eclipse. At the time I saw a lot of discussion online about how people were saying it was the end of the world, the rapture, etc. I thought it was interesting as humans have related events like eclipses or eruptions to religion since the first forms of religion were practiced. The idea that even though we know now what causes eclipses, but they can still cause panic in this way was intriguing to me. So I created a false event where the world did end during the eclipse. To show this concept I created a fiery landscape under an eclipse. I added a prominent church to show the concept of religion, particularly Christianity as that was one of the groups I observed panicking about the eclipse. I included a figure shielding their eyes as they observe the scene, since the eclipse can hurt your eyes.







1 comment: