Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Carved From Stone: Brooklyn Presnell

For my piece I drew a lot of inspiration from the Romanticism Era. I love the dreamy aesthetic and lighting that was popular in that time and I wanted to capture that similar look in my photo edit. This picture of myself was taken in the Botanical Garden on campus. I am dressed in a white sheet to mimic the sleek dresses/statues of that era. I added a black and white filter to the photo, distressed the edges, and added creases to look like the photo had been damaged. I used several kinds of both wet and dry brushes to create the "damages" to the photo. I incorperated the broken effect into my "dress" by using a crack in a photo from the government website. I feel like this accomplished the look of a wet plate overall pretty well. I wish I liked the photo in sepia a little more because I think it would've really pushed the "worn" effect. I also made sure that the main focus was on the upper half of my body, making it the most focused aspect of the photo.

 

1 comment:

  1. Brooklyn, this piece is captivating. There is a woman standing amongst a lot of foliage. The sun is peeking through the trees in the top left corner. It appears to be very blurry surrounding everything but the woman. The woman standing is wearing only a white sheet and it has been made to look like marble. She looks up as the light from the sun reflects on her. This piece is black and white and holds a lot of contrast. Black ink bleeds off of two corners while the others are subtracted. Faint additions are splatters in the top right corner and light creases in the middle and left corner of the picture.
    After studying the photo, the mood it portrays is feminine beauty and lust. The woman is standing in an empowering stance. She is draped in a sheet but the sheet was made to look like stone. This could be interpreted as her being a work of art. The implied nudity gives a sense of vulnerability and confidence. It feels romantic, like she is running around in the garden. Free from society and indulging in serenity and solitude. The sun being included in the image could be a reference to radiance and beauty. Despite my interpretation, this piece also holds a lot of mystery.
    I believe that you executed a very compelling piece that resembles one of an older time period. I think it was a good decision putting the woman in the middle of the photo, and creating emphasis. I think it was a good decision to make this piece black and white, it leaves room for a lot of contrast and it makes the sun rays more prominent. The blur added was applied in the right areas, as most photographs from this time had a shallow depth of field. The frame of the photo is well done, I appreciate the balance between the light and dark brush strokes. It does look very distressed but with intention. A suggestion I would give would be to remove the buildings in the background. They aren’t too much of a distraction but I think it would help set the scene for the given time frame, unless of course this was intentional for a conceptual purpose. I would also suggest making more rays or emphasizing sun rays because beside after seeing the woman, my eye is drawn to that left corner.
    I think this project resembles a wet collodion plate quite nicely. The image itself has a mood of empowerment and beauty. The piece focuses on women as well as nature, which provides a feeling of comfort in this photo. Light itself plays a big role in the success of this product, I believe it was used and manipulated very nicely.

    ReplyDelete