Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Growing up: Shyana Marvelle

 I wanted to take the "old is new" challenge and correlate it with my concept for this project. For this project, I wanted to highlight the act of growing up. I wanted to create an image that incorporates myself as an adult and as a child. Sitting on the steps is both a literal as well as a metaphor. As a kid, I was always playing outside and most days ended with sitting on the steps. Older me is sitting closer to the top of the stairs to show movement and growth. This would be a reminder to slow down because time moves fast. I also wanted to create the message that even if I don't necessarily feel the best about where I am in life right now, I know my younger self would be so proud. I wanted to make my photo look worn as if the photograph itself has been carried around in one's pocket. I also wanted the image to appear smeared as if it got wet or was an attempted transfer image. As for texture, I added fold creases from images from the Library of Congress in order to add to the wear of the photo, and show that someone carries it around with them.





1 comment:

  1. The first thing that comes to mind is the impressive foggy effect which I assume was intentional not just to give it the wet-plate collodion look, but also that it gives more meaning to show how the past can sometimes be seen as a blur from memory. As stated in the description, the image appears to show you in the present and you as a child. The image appears to be shot at the exact same place that you sat at as a child and it comes out very well. The lighting on the subjects appear to have a darker look since there seems to be hardly any sunlight out shining on either of them.

    The creases were a great addition to the image as well. As stated before, it not only adds elements from the wet-plate collodion, but it gives symbolic meaning with your younger self looking towards your present self today while also separating them to show who you were before to who you are now. I assume that the place you are sitting at was your old home where you used to play outside. While you state that your younger self would be proud of who you are today, it feels like she has a bit of a sad or questioned look on her instead.

    While searching for an old image of yourself and putting it onto a newer image can be very challenging, it does bring elements from old photos like the ones found at the library of congress. It also adds that shutter effect to where images can be blurry depending on if the person is moving or standing still. The frame also has a great 4:3 ratio for an old photo, and the depth of field does not need much blur since the photo is positioned right next to the house. The only problem I feel should be addressed is the lighting on both your present and past self. I can see a few shadows as the light is positioned to the left yet there is no light or at least a little bit of light on the subjects. I do like that the only blur effects you need are on both you and your past self of the picture since you two would be the only ones that could potentially move in the photo. The black foggy texture surrounding your image was probably my favorite effect out of all of them.

    Overall, this picture captures the wet-plate collodion part very well with its ratio, effects, and depth of field. The message towards the photo is really well done both metaphorically and literally when we tend to look back at the past, the past looks back at us to see who we are in the future from their perspective. The photo is very well manipulated and worked on through each element you’ve implemented onto it.

    ReplyDelete