Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Under the influence blog formal analysis: Shyana Marvelle


The artist I am inspired by is Klawe Rzeczy. They are an illustrator and collage artists that use graphic elements as well as photography to create, in my opinion, really interesting pieces of work. The way the composition lays most of the time is directly focusing on the center. 

When it comes to the photography used in these pieces they are always in black and white. They have slight borders around them that make them appear like they are cut out from a magazine and collaged. What I appreciate about this artist's work is how they portray humans. The person's face is not always shown. In this particular series, the faces are covered with an image of a flower. Below them, they are intertwined with landscapes. I think it's fascinating to combine nature and humans and that was what I was initially inspired by.

The figures are enclosed by sharp shapes and colorful organic shapes. As a graphic designer, this caught my interest. It's almost adding an illustrative element to the photo. These organic shapes are always exceeding the frame that has been created. Parts of the figure cross the border of the solid rectangle as well. The organic shapes are the only color on the piece, which I feel creates a vibrant and interesting composition.

Conceptually these pieces show the beauty in each person and how we are connected to nature. The movements and stances in the figures speak for themselves rather than the viewer making an opinion based on what their face looks like. The theme of movement ties in with the organic shapes behind it. 

In my future project, I would like to implement this collage style of digital compositing. I want to use color to add contrast and emphasis while the figures that I use remain black and white. I want to play by combining nature and humans throughout this project. To add my own personal touch, I want to play with typography more than this artist is used to.








No comments:

Post a Comment