Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Chris Allard Under the Influence Formal Analysis


 Anxo Vizcaíno




Vizcaíno’s work is ultimately broken down to observing the surreal, creating odd/transcendent scenes that play with color and texture to create a distinct feel for the audience. The main works I’ve chosen to look at give off a printmaking-like graphic quality to them which is what I enjoy the most. Vizcaíno’s use of color and texture in order to bring focus to the central subjects of each piece is something that I find very effective and is the main thing I want to emulate in my project. The Artist uses blue and red commonly in their art as a way to contrast the foreground and the background, giving a tangible feeling to the layering of each element.
What I also find interesting in the first three images is the proper placement of each foreground subject, using the lines that the objects created to lead the viewer through the composition from one part to the next. I also find that a lot of Vizcaíno’s pieces use negative space very effectively to further heighten or frame the desired subject adding to the silhouette of the composition. All of this adds to the overall idea of focusing on shapes, by taking organic things from the real world and bisecting them through the use of abstract shapes in order to integrate them into the composition. These chopped-up limbs also serve to add to the surrealism of the artist’s perception of the unknown by combining them with stars and other dreamlike imagery. 

I think the visual style that Vizcaíno creates is deeply tied to the tools that photoshop can provide. Each part of the image is integrated well through compositing, placing the limbs and other foreground elements into the scene so that yes they stand out but also create a complete image. Color is another element that I think is well implemented with photoshop, using the color blending tool in order to create full blocks of color with the pieces of the composition. Contrast is another thing Vizcaíno uses well, the different colors speak to contrast the foreground from the background while never allowing the contrast of the individual objects themselves to become too distracting.

            Ultimately what stood out to me about Anxo Vizcaíno’s work was the color and texture, used in a way that reminds me of an abstract poster made through the process of printmaking. The blocks of color and intriguing composition draw my eye in a way I would love to emulate. Though the pieces lack a deeper meaning or commentary I think it is worthwhile the goal for an artist to simply want to visually capture the surreal in order to create a compelling and satisfactory image. In my Project, I hope to capture the essence of these images in order to explore the surreal on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment