Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Under the Influence Formal Analysis - Brooke Buchanan

 The artist I will be looking at has really inspired some of my past work, and I continue to be inspired by his story and art. David LaChapelle is an American photographer, who creates these highly composited, camp influenced surrealist portraits. Often times working with creating celebrity portraits. LaChapelle attended North Carolina School of the arts, and worked alongside Andy Warhol for a period of time. 

Each of his work takes a bizarre approach, while also often conveying social messages in his works. Each piece is very different, but you can still recognize his work by his style, lighting, and use of color. While each piece is widely differentiating, LaChapelle pays attention to setting the scene, and portraying an atmospheric tone that is really reflected by his style. His subjects often include celebrities, natures, light trails, unrealistic props, and backdrops. 

LaChapelle creates these really crisp vibrant colored portraits, that looks hyper realistic. He is really good at created a solid composition, even if there is a lot happening in the pieces, he always makes it work compositionally. He often works with a sexual and ironic undertone, that doesn't overshadow the pieces. Even though his works are highly composited, it looks so natural and real, you really cant tell what is photoshopped.

 For my portfolio, I want to extend LaChapelles use of lighting, color, and campy style into my work, and I will be focusing on some of his space themed works. Due to the amount of time left in the semester, I plan to rework some of my past works, while adding a few new works included in my portfolio. I want to focus on detail, and making my compositions look as natural and real as possible.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment