Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Under The Influence Formal Analysis - Tiana Cohen



The artist I chose for under the influence is Calob Castellon who is a Graphic Designer, Web Designer, and Photographer. A lot of his works are photographs with edits to add glows, sparkles, etcetera. However, he does have works where he composites different pieces together to make a dynamic scene that matches his overall energy and style. He is most well known for blending comic book effects with his photos to make a semi realistic portrait.

Each of his works may have different themes touching different subjects such as superheroes, playing with fire, having superpowers  to more simple things like a projection of the weather or a kid surrounded by fireflies. Regardless, you can differentiate his work due to the dramatic style and lighting he uses in the composition. Castellon is talented at setting up light/ using light to help support his piece and create a cohesiveness in the composition. 

A lot of Castellon’s works turn normal images into more saturated worlds. An example would be his version of the fourth kind. In this example he takes a photo of his model laying on a stool that’s placed on the bed. The picture starts out warm with the sun coming through the window. He then masks, darkens, liquifies, color shifts, and adds elements to make it seem like the girl and some objects are floating under the blue glow of the window.

I chose this artist because I want to play with adding an unrealistic element in my project. Whether it be a galaxy or a room filled with water I want to play with those elements and I know that I can replicate some of the skills that Castellon is using to enhance my work. Changing the color, playing with light, adding elements to further tie in whatever theme I want will provide useful. Additionally, I hope to implement these techniques while still achieving the same level of quality and detail in my own works.




No comments:

Post a Comment