Monday, March 11, 2024

Midnight Breeze- Christi Montes

 




I had several ideas for this project; however, I went with the idea of fluidity and night vision. First, I took a self-portrait and used LED lights in the water. Then I thought this wasn't the most brilliant idea. I used a blue light to refine the image while being in a bathtub. I tried to add movement within the water to make it seem like I was "floating." I also tried using other lights with the blue light however, this didn't turn out the way I had hoped. During spring break, I experienced some nightlife. I then went on to take pictures and decided to overlap them to create more motion. Night vision creates almost a sense of curiosity.


1 comment:

  1. Midnight Breeze by Christi Montes is a portrait of the photographer lying in a tub with LED lights. Green lights are projecting from Christi and outside of the frame. Her dark hair and shirt, along with the direction of the light, bring attention to her face. The lighting comes from various sources as you can see a combination of red, green, and blue streams.

    I think this portrait depicts looking back on a crazy night. It’s like we’re seeing a memory or multiple memories Christi was thinking about. I don’t really get a sense of curiosity but it is sort of mysterious because of how few details we can see of Christi. The eyes being a focal point also reminds me of The Great Gatsby cover which, if I remember correctly, gave a glimpse into nightlife in that period.

    I don’t think this piece was super transformative just because it’s mostly combining pictures with blending modes. The addition of the lights does make it seem like the original portrait was taken in the same space. I also didn’t notice any bracketed exposures. The use of motion and direction was successful in creating the thrilling feeling of this experience. The darkness creates a level of abstraction in this composition. This was a good use of darkness and light. The lights have a dramatic and electrifying effect that contributes to the mood.

    ReplyDelete