Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Teleporter - Bryce Locaylocay

 




The concept of this project was to create a teleporter effect using low exposure images and photo manipulation. The inspiration for this project comes from Doctor Strange’s sling ring, which he uses to teleport anywhere he can imagine. I wanted to capture that sense of adventure and the idea of jumping between different locations. The idea is to show me coming out of a wall, suggesting that I’m stepping into a different place. Initially, I aimed for something more abstract, but after several setbacks, I chose this approach because it felt more achievable. This way, I could still capture the essence of teleportation while working with low exposure imagery. All of the original photos were taken outside in my backyard using a laser pointer bought from Amazon a while back. This setting allowed me to experiment with various angles and laser "effects", making it a perfect backdrop for the teleporter effect. Using familiar surroundings made the project feel more personal and gave me the freedom to create the illusion of moving to another place. 

1 comment:

  1. Before this project, I didn’t know what long exposure was, and it wasn’t until about a week before the deadline that I started to understand it. I initially thought I could “draw” something with the laser I owned, and my early attempts aimed for an abstract look, as seen in my progress submission. However, after taking more photos outside, nothing seemed to come together, and it all felt off. To gain inspiration, I turned to Pinterest, which ultimately sparked the idea for a teleportation concept. In the end, I was pleased with how the composition turned out.

    I believe that the subject has been transported from another place using the glowing object in the middle. The casual nature of their clothing suggests that they might be experimenting with it or have used it multiple times. The setting, which contains grass beneath them and paneling on the wall behind, hints that this could be a home environment, implying that the person is either returning home or visiting someone else's place. They also seem to be holding something in they’re left hand, which could be the device used to create this teleporter or an important item.

    I think the content is executed well overall. However, the subject could have been dressed a bit more appropriately to enhance the scene and create a more realistic vibe. Having a few more layers instead of what looks like less than five would help with that. On the bright side, the blending looks great. The lighting on the subject is really effective, with the outside glowing while the background stays dark, which adds a nice touch of realism to the whole composition. The effect where it looks like his step is impacting the ground and also glowing is a nice touch. I would have loved to see him dressed in something cooler or more futuristic instead of something very casual. That could really elevate the scene. Other than that, the laser tool used looks very clean based on the timeline GIF, and the way each layer blends together is impressive. It all comes together seamlessly to create a striking final piece.

    I never really thought about it until now, but this could also be interpreted as a time traveler. People today often discuss conspiracy theories around time travel, and there are claims of "time slips" occurring. Whether you choose to believe it or not is entirely up to you, but this rabbit hole has always fascinated me. The idea that someone might be navigating different eras adds a whole new layer to the concept and makes it even more intriguing. Who is this person? Where are they from? Where are they really from?

    For my last paragraph, the comparative summary, I’ll be reviewing Kim Ballinger's "Night Prowler." I chose her piece because the style of her composition closely resembles mine, and it’s very clean and minimal, just like my work. The colors are bright, and there are numerous layers both within and outside the circle. You can almost see every individual line and its color, highlighting their placement and uniqueness. One thing I would suggest, though, is to add something at the top to avoid it feeling awkward or overlooked, maybe by incorporating a different design like the inner circle. Other than that, she did a fantastic job, and this piece was my favorite.

    ReplyDelete