Tuesday, September 8, 2026

Old is New Again - Wrapping Technology in Collodion_Kyiah Vann

Old Is New Again 


For this work, I developed a concept that relied on a sense of irony. I used a picture of myself when I was a flower girl at six years old, and added an iPad to connect the past and present. I wanted to explore the friction between new-age digital dependency and historical permanence by creating an anachronistic contrast between the birth of photography and the height of the digital age. This project comments on how quickly our tools for capturing reality have evolved by rendering a modern memory through the lens of the historical collodion process. 

I utilized two images from The Library of Congress for the background and chair, removing the subjects from each photo and scaling them up for the composition. I blurred these images since they are farther away from the camera. 

No comments:

Post a Comment