Thursday, September 8, 2022

Evie Khang Old is New Again

 



  For my project I decided to photograph my sibling playing their piano. Music and musical instruments transcend time, so I thought it would be best considering the theme of "Old is New". I wanted to create a look of a musician focusing deeply on their performance, as well as getting the best view of the piano, so I chose a high angle to shoot from. To add to the old timey look, I also had my sibling wear a flowy, white dress to emulate old styles. I wanted more texture in this piece, so I found a cotton texture from the Library of Congress added as an overlay to complete everything. 

1 comment:

  1. Evie’s sibling is sitting at and playing their piano. The hands are blurred to indicate their hands are moving relatively fast. The center of the composition is in focus while the rest of the photo is blurred. Her sibling is wearing a vintage-like dress to reference a different time period. The floral pattern on the rug implies that this photo could have been taken years ago.
    I interpret this as a photograph to document a person with an extravagant lifestyle who spends their days playing the piano by themselves. This character would likely be wealthy and this is conveyed by the fancy white dress. Evie’s character is not wearing any shoes so we can assume they are relaxed and enjoying themselves. The Monstera plant in the corner implies this character has enough money to decorate their home nicely.
    The shallow depth of field refers to the wide apertures necessary for wet plate photographs. The blur on the inside of the piano creates drama and gives the image an enchanting feeling to it. The monochromatic photo, with a little hint of sepia tone, is accurate because wet plates were only shot in black and white.The canvas/cotton texture makes this photo feel like it belongs in an antique shop.
    Throughout the years many things change, become trendy, and later forgotten. Music is one of those things that is consistent and has been around for many generations.The piano is a timeless instrument and has been around for hundreds of years. I think Evie portrayed her character and their story well. There are enough visual clues for the viewer to create their own version of the story centered around music.

    ReplyDelete