Monday, March 11, 2024

"Falling" - Brianne Schriever (Night Prowler)



For this project I knew I wanted to focus on the motion and incorporation of light in a dynamic way while indoors. After spending part of my spring break in Atlanta and visiting the botanical gardens, I was inspired by the flowers beginning to bloom for spring. This inspiration sparked the concept of making it appear as if the flowers are falling with some of them having a trail of light to follow them. Using a silk sheet, fresh flowers, glow sticks and only the light from a dimmed color changing lamp, I would wave the flowers in front of the frame and hold them still at the end to have multiple photos of them and their motion blur. For a couple of them I held the glow stick with the flower to add to the motion blur and for others it was taken separately to be edited in later. 

 

1 comment:

  1. For the Night Prowler project, the work shown is by Brianne Schriever titled “Falling.” The backdrop consists of a silk sheet that is pink. There are different types of flowers shown. In the GIF, I could tell that Bri lightened up the composition at the end to help expose the flowers and light shown. The arrangement of the flowers is great as it allows the viewers to look at it without feeling overwhelmed.

    Since spring is around the corner, I believe this work has to do with the changing seasons. There are also different flowers used in order to show the variety of spring blooms. With the work titled falling, it reminds me of the saying “out with the old, in with the new” and that is how I interpret the seasons. I am confident that the rule of thirds and golden ration was successful within this work as it leads the viewers eyes.
    The project was done indoors which gives the artist a challenge and a creative state to explore. I think utilizing the glow sticks even more within the flowers or elsewhere could tie in the idea even more. Also darkening some areas of the silk helps to create the depth of the flowers. They did use motion blur while taking these photos which is important for their title and concept as well.

    I think it is exciting to see how flowers move in motion especially when it is falling. Flowers are given fresh at first but they eventually die. In this work, it allows us to see some of these flowers falling in motion although they may not be dead. I think it's common for us to see trees and leaves transition but never really with flowers. Just like the season changes, it captures the life cycle of the flowers.

    Overall, Brianne challenged herself to work indoors with this project and replicated it well as to be seen as night time. I think one thing I would love to see highlighted even more is the use of glow sticks. I think having more exposure to it can help additionally brighten the piece overall. The concept connects to her expression of the spring blooms and the work is showcased well for the project.

    ReplyDelete