Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Kim Ballinger - Night Prowler

 





For this project I took a photo of me outside so there would be a soft  outline of the trees to create a non-distractive background that is outdoors and not restrictive, giving the feeling of being free. This created an environment with the night sky serving as a very subtle backdrop giving focus to the colors and lights. 

I used two lights, one red and one white. I photographed and played with various movements of the lights and settled on the ones that I liked the most. I then paired them together with numerous color filters creating a colorful display of movement and light.

The initial picture I took of me is with the red light and aimed towards myself slightly to create a cast off light onto my face and clothes. I ultimately decided to adjust it to a turquoise blue because I felt it fit the final composite better.

I wanted to present the idea of having something in the palm of your hand and being in control of it. As if you created it, it's yours, and only you decide what it does or what it means. The colors are moving fast but yet somehow soothing. Although they are vivid in comparison to the dark background, they work together to create an overall atmosphere of feeling transfixed to the motion.



1 comment:

  1. I spent a great deal of time trying different movements and directions. Sometimes it came out quite wonky or didn’t have the effect that I was hoping for. I specifically tried different shapes such as a smiley face, tree, cat face, etc to challenge myself and make different things to see what I could do. Even if they weren’t used, it was still fun to practice and it helped me brainstorm ideas for what I could use and what works well. The lights in the foreground are the prominent focal point with me and the background more just subtle pieces. I made sure to use vivid colors and adjustments to the lights to make them really pop while allowing myself to be more of a softer deeper blue shaded in the backdrop. While the lights are central in the photograph, they do occupy the lower portion of the photo, and I am to the right leaving a lot of negative space to not distract from the focus on the lights. This was my attempt to stray away from being compartmentalized and having everything “neat and orderly” by trying to use the rule of thirds more effectively.

    The stark colors and repetitive patterns create almost an optical illusion lulling the viewer in. The figure is holding and/or controlling the lights giving the idea of intention, that there is purpose in what is being made or manipulated. There is no fear being presented, just a calm swirl of aesthetic colors. The lights aren’t wild and flying everywhere, they are neat and orderly offering a sense of stability amongst the chaotic movement being depicted. The choice of using varying colors rather than white alone helps to visualize each light trail easier.

    The use of light versus darkness is used a great deal in this composite. I did notice that the trees in the background did not convey as well on different monitors, although the image isn’t greatly affected by this. Perhaps I should have looked into the trees playing more of a role in offsetting the colors in some way to try and prevent them being washed out. But at the same time, it does create a rather mysterious and ethereal notion of something behind the figure that is not quite visible to create some tension. Having the figure illuminated in a soft way, blurred by the exposure, and allowing the hands and lights to be much more vivid creates a balance that feels satisfying.

    Often our lives feel chaotic and out of our control. This image shows that while this may be true, we can take that energy and compress it into a force that can continue to propel us to overcome our challenges while also giving the confidence that it is manageable. Further, the outer rings circle endlessly while the inner swirls are open-ended but are being held in by the outer. There is a little anxiety in this but focusing on the outer rings, the stability, can help ebb that feeling. This is an attempt to show the effects of things such as anxiety, panic, etc can have on us, but a reminder that they are feelings that can also be tethered in some way.

    Another work that felt very similar in concept and vibe is Light Angel by Aliyah Valcin. Using similar ethereal blues and lighting I feel it aligns with mine a great deal. Night Prowler by Emily Buie was cute and reminded of me also making heart shapes while I was playing with the movements. A work that I find notable is Teleporter by Bryce Locaylocay. Although the concept is rather simplistic, the green color is very striking and used well in the depiction of what we might imagine a teleportation portal might look like.

    ReplyDelete