Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Old is New Again - Estera Rasek

 

 

My idea was to show how the sources we use to satisfy our thirst have changed over the years. I wanted to create an ironic photo by placing a modern, unhealthy energy drink in a setting that shows a more traditional way of living. I’m holding the energy drink while a natural well and a cow providing fresh milk can be seen behind me. The can is also the sharpest element in the photograph, which helps draw the viewer’s attention to it.

I wanted my appearance to represent a woman from the past and connect the photograph to my Polish and Slavic background. That’s why I wore a simple dress, braided my hair into two braids and stood barefoot. In the background, I used a Polish windmill from the Library of Congress as another cultural element.

I also tried to follow the Rule of Thirds when creating the composition. Overall, this work is meant to be a form of social commentary on our modern lifestyle. By contrasting natural sources of food and drink with an unhealthy energy drink, I wanted to encourage the viewer to think about their choices and consider a more natural way of living.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment