Through this work, I wanted to show a portal into the spiritual world.
When I think of Lani, I always see her as a spiritual warrior, a woman ready for battle no matter the circumstances. When I first met Lani, I occasionally captured glimpses of her spirit self: a woman with strong arms and a big build. While contemplating the concept, I initially sought to photograph her as an African American boxer from the Civil War. This changed when the photo became much more intimate.
Indications of documentary photography are key in the photograph, capturing Lani as she puts on her gloves, with her gaze away from the viewer, announcing her ferocity for battle and the energy culminating around her, warning any suitors of her strength. This project is intended to acknowledge the spiritual side of the physical world; many grow blind to spiritual implications, and I seek to bring invisible realities into the visual. Showcasing Lani's strength through her portrait was my goal.
Ephesians 6:12
I used this Photograph from the Library of Congress


No comments:
Post a Comment